Tuesday, August 9, 2016

"Father and Son" (vader en zoon) mixed media layout


Hi all!
Wanted to show my latest layout. The one that rolled out like magic, everything worked out fine, I didn't struggle for days with color schemes, etc. This one confirms my mojo does come around again, sometimes ;)
The design was inspired by a layout Mary Catt did. I love all of her work, but that one was very different because of the lines. It really stood out!
This picture was a lucky shot, with my phone, while riding the bus back from the beach during our holiday. I loved how the sunlight caught the blue in both my boys' eyes and the way they sat together staring outside after a long, hot day at the beach.. (The pacifier sucks...) (Pun intended hahaha... )

This particular piece of Paper is from the #ActionNL and was perfect for this design.


I started out with a diamond plate pattern stencil and  #Prima #finnabair texture paste #Graphite, topped off with some #Prima #Finnabair #rustpaste. 


Next, I sprayed some #TatteredAngels #glimmermist 'Navy Blue' through a #Timholtz stencil called 'Measured'.

I stenciled some words with the stencil pictured below, using the #Prima #Finnabair #texturepaste #graphite again, only blended with black #gesso because I wanted it to be more black.

Next up some rusty stars, using two different 'star' stencils,
 and 2 shades of #Prima #Finnabair #rustpaste.

Stamped some sentiments here and there, using Black #Archival ink, and splattered and sprayed some #Tatteredangels #glimmermist 'Navy Blue' wherever I felt it was needed.

Here are some close-ups.
 I will explain the steps I haven't mentioned yet, underneath the pictures.



 The starry chipboard 'frame' is by #Creativeembellishments and was given the rust paste treatment also. Sprayed a little glimmermist and added a little crackle glaze on it as well.


 The black stitches are stickers. 
They were silver so I gave them a coat of black gesso to match my project,


 The little 'Family St' plaque is #Primamarketing. It was treated with rust paste and one step #crackle medium. The wood star you can still see a little on the left, was also treated with rust paste.




The arrows. Some are wood, some are cork. I painted them with black gesso, Prima texture paste Graphite and rust paste.


The zipper is actually a plastic bracelet. It needed a little rust, too ;)

'Vader en zoon' means 'Father and Son'. I coated the chipboard with white gesso first, then some gray #structurepaint #cementlook from #ActionNL. Then I sprayed a little glimmermist, using 'Navy Blue' and 'Rolling Tide'. Then I added rust paste and finally one step crackle medium.



I hope you like my layout! Comments and questions are always welcome.

HAPPY SCRAPPING!

2 comments:

Evelyn Walter said...

Very cool male layout, Mandy! Love all the texture and bits and bobs you used! <3

Mandy: Less is Bore! said...

Thank you Evelyn! I'm happy about this one too, for a change ;)